Chümoukedima, August 17: Nagaland Minister for Environment, Forest & Climate Change and Village Guards, CL John, addressed the media on several issues following the 80th Independence Day celebration held at Chümoukedima on August 15.
On the ongoing ‘Vande Mataram’ issue, in which the Naga Students’ Federation (NSF) had directed student bodies to boycott the 80th Independence Day celebrations through a notification issued on July 12, the minister said he had no comments to offer on the matter.
On concerns over human-animal conflict in the state, particularly the inadequate compensation provided to affected villages and the lack of field inspections, John said the department was making efforts to provide compensation to those affected, including through a lump-sum approach.
He acknowledged that human-animal conflict has been occurring particularly in low-lying areas and said discussions were underway to find a suitable solution. He expressed hope that the government would soon be able to arrive at a solution to address the issue.
Regarding the implementation of the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act (FCRA) Bill, John said the matter did not fall under his department. He, however, stated that Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio had already appealed to and requested the Union Home Minister to consider the concerns and refrain from proceeding with the Bill, citing Nagaland’s status as a Christian-majority state.
On the controversy surrounding the Mangkolemba Khelo India project in Mokokchung, which was inaugurated on July 3, 2026, John said that, as far as he was concerned and based on the minister’s statement, the project was intended to serve the entire area.
He stated that Mangkolemba falls under the relevant divisions and that Longtho village also comes under the area, adding that the project was constructed for the benefit of the people as a whole.
On the proposed oil exploration in the Doyang area, which was discussed during the Cabinet meeting held earlier this month, John said the matter had not yet been finalised. He stated that the government would discuss the issue with the public before arriving at a decision.
The minister reiterated that the government would engage with the public on the proposed oil exploration before proceeding further.



